Please note: this Asia travel blog uses affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you(Last Updated On: January 15, 2023)
I feel like I’m not supposed to like the Full Moon Party. It’s a bunch of drunks ruining one of my favourite islands, Koh Phangan. I’m over 25, I live in Thailand and I prefer to avoid dirty backpacker places. Yet I’ve been to FIVE Full Moon Parties so far…
Check this website to check your Full Moon Party dates and plan your trip around a few days on Koh Phangan. One to party and the rest to recover. And explore the beauty of Koh Phangan.
Ultimately, the Full Moon Party is a giant party on a beach, attracting up to 30,000 people! So enjoy and stay safe using my tips!
- Do stay till sunrise
- Do wear shoes – I go for closed in pumps as there can be glass around as one of my mates’ can testify!
- Do take a bumbag or just no bag! I take money in my pocket and that’s it!
- Do get covered in dayglow paint and drunkenly think you are the next Pablo Picasso.
- Do be patient with songtaews (trucks) when leaving. They will wait to fill up to make the most money possible. Remember the party can bring a lot of useful income for locals.
- Do eat food! While it’s all about the buckets, the street food is pretty good and will help you keep going until 6am!
- Do dance until the sun comes up
- Do consider staying in the north of the island. It takes 40 minutes by truck but accommodation is cheaper, nicer and they don’t have that ridiculous “you must stay minimum 4 days” crap that Haad Rin hostels try on.
- Do arrange a meeting point with your mates…you WILL get separated at some point!
- Do pay entry, it’s only 100 baht and think of all the cleaning up people have to do the next day!
- Do make new friends (coz you’ll probably lose your old ones!)
- Do stick to one spirit in your bucket…yummy Sangsom (Thai rum) is my favourite!
- Do kiss a dirty backpacker but…
- Don’t have sex in the sea…ew. People are pissing in it!
- Do NOT ride a scooter. People are killed every Full Moon and mostly from drink/drug driving.
- Don’t take a nap in the nap area…Full Moon is NOT for sleeping!
- Don’t wear your favourite dress! That neon paint does NOT come out.]
- Moving on after the Full Moon Party? The day after can get busy with people leaving the island so book your boat in advance.
Useful Things to Bring
- Bum Bags – very useful to have your hands free for drinking and dancing and to have your phone and money directly infront of you as the Full Moon can be a time for robberies. Buy your Waist Bag from Amazon.
- Adorn your head with flowers to blend in with this backpacker crowd Flower Crown for Festival
- For a classier version that neon paint, buy some cheap Boho Tattoos Flash Aztec Collection tattoos to take with you here on Amazon
How to get to Koh Phangan? Get your night bus/train ticket and ferry combo here.
After a quieter island after all that partying? Try visiting these quiet paradise beaches
7 thoughts on “Full Moon Party Tips”
Hi, thank you very much for this info!